Thursday, June 10, 2010

Welcoming our son

Nathan was baptized on May 31st into the Catholic church. Now, if you know me, you know that this was not at my initiative. I do not self identify as a Christian nor was I raised in any faith. I am spiritual and have come into my own in my beliefs and do sometimes attend Unitarian Universalist (UU) services and plan to raise Nathan with UU principals. But, Catholic baptism is a tradition in Jason's family and Jason self identifies as a Catholic, so Nathan was welcomed into their community and Jason plans to teach Nathan about his faith.

I thought that I may feel "weird" at the ceremony, like I normally do at other religious ceremonies, but I found myself crying and feeling so full of pride and love that we were baptizing our little guy. No, I do not believe in the washing away of original sins but I do believe in making it known to the whole world that my boy is here on earth and the feeling of welcoming us as parents and his "spiritual guides". I even cried a little bit. Me!

Anyway, it was nice and I feel good about it. I plan to teach him how to find his truth and to fill his heart with love.

Here are some pictures if there are some of you who really don't believe I went through with it and liked it :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment